[Spambayes] Working, But slow

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Fri Oct 15 07:02:23 CEST 2004

> I recently reformatted my computer from 2000 pro to
> xp pro.  I reinstalled Office XP, including outlook
> 2002 from the same disks I had used on 2k.  Now though,
> when I click delete as spam there is about a 15 second
> lag before the message is sent to the junk folder.
> The same delay exists on new messages coming in.

Hmm.  The lag on new messages *might* just be the background filtering.
What values do you have that set to?  (Advanced tab of the SpamBayes manager
dialog).  You could try disabling that and seeing if it makes any
difference.

There are two other possible causes that come to mind:

 (a) It's Outlook that's the problem.  Are other actions with Outlook (like
moving messages from one folder to another) slow?  If so, then maybe the
store is too big, or needs compacting or running scanpst over it?

 (b) It's accessing the SpamBayes database that's causing problems.

This is a little similar to another recent report (although no other ones I
can recall) except that it was only using the buttons (i.e. when training)
that was slow.  My suggested fix was to try retraining from scratch.  It
would be worth trying that here, too.  (If you wanted to, you could always
back up your databases, as described in the FAQ, beforehand and put them
back if it doesn't work).

=Tony Meyer

---