[Spambayes] Outlook 2003 is eating our lunch ?

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Mon Nov 22 01:08:22 CET 2004

I saw a presentation at Microsoft TechEd a couple of years back about
the spam filter technology going in to Outlook 2003 / Exchange 2003. It
did not impress me that much. From what I recall, they use a positive
and negative scoring system based on tokens. The tokens and their
"weights" are determined collectively by the huge number of Hotmail
users marking messages as spam and ham. I recall the positive/negative
token wieghts were combined with simple addition in the examples
presented; I am not sure if that's how it works in the actual code
version.

Basically, it sounded a lot like SpamAssasin's point-based rule system.
The reason it works reasonably well for a lot of people is because of
the huge Hotmail corpus that they use to statistically determine the
point values for each token. They have also released a few updates to
the rule sets since Outlook 2003 RTM, these perform marginally better
against current spam.

That said, I get something near 98% capture rate with zero false
positives using SpamBayes, so I won't be ditching it anytime soon in
favor of Outlook 2003's filter or the Exchange 2003 Intelligent Message
Filter.

Regards,
	Ryan