[Spambayes] 1.0rc1, modifies Received headers

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Mon May 31 00:03:08 EDT 2004

> So although modifying the Received headers isn't wrong, I just can't help
> but feel it's unnecessary. It would be nice to be able to output just a
> score, without modifying the message.

At the moment, Python's email package needs to read in and parse the
message, then write it out again with new (spam) headers. The email
package (correctly, imho) takes the view that _any_ message emitted
should be correct MIME, even if this means it's not the same as the
message that was sent into the email Parser. email 3.0, coming as part
of Python 2.4, goes even further in this regard.

It's really _really_ not a useful expenditure of time to write a
separate email Parser for SB - particularly since 3.0 has a completely
rewritten Parser that's designed to not fail.

If it's a concern to you, it would not be a lot of work to write a
new frontend for SB that sent the message into the tokeniser/classifier,
and then just emitted a score.

Anthony