[Spambayes] Contacts whitelist

Walter Görlitz walter at gorlitz.ca
Fri May 28 14:54:52 EDT 2004

At 06:12 AM 2004-05-28, you wrote:
>On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:49:23 +0000
>"Glenn H" <translogik at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > A quick suggestion that you may or may not have thought of... it would be
> > good to have an option to treat all of the user's Outlook contacts as a
> > whitelist, so any mail from these sources would be treated as ham, not
> spam.
>
>I beg to differ. Worms

well a worm is not technically a SPAM message and that's the problem.
People classify all unwanted mail as SPAM when the original connotation was
unsolicited commercial mail. Also, worms by definition do not use e-mail as
means of propagation, they work their way behind the scenes and use
weaknesses in the system to propagate. Trojans are applications that
masquerade as one thing and are actually a piece of malicious code. That is
what this current class of viruses are: Trojans, despite Symantec using
"mass-replicating worm" as a term for the Beagle variants, they're really
mass-replicating trojans.

Now that we have an understanding of this...

>these days can pretend to be sending email from someone you know.
>
>So far, I have not received any false positives for emails from friends.

If you're using SpamBayes to filter out all unwanted mail, not just SPAM,
you may get too many false negatives, but that's up to you.