[Spambayes] Shelve database corruption?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed May 19 09:19:55 EDT 2004

    Lars>     f = StringIO(self.dict[key])
    Lars> error: (-30981, 'Unknown error 4294936315')

    Lars> What I'm looking for is some idea of what's wrong with the shelve
    Lars> database so that I can fix the corruption.

I've no idea.  If the underlying file is a Berkeley DB thing of some sort,
you might be able to restore it to good health using the db_recover
command (which you may or may not have on-hand).  Whether or not that
succeeds you might try running the sb_dbexpimp.py command to dump the
database and reload it into a new file.

    Lars> I've trained SpamBayes on 37,000 emails, so the idea of starting
    Lars> again from scratch is not appealing...

Which seems like way too much to me, but maybe that's just me.  If you're
having trouble properly classifying messages with that database (ignoring
the corruption issue) it's likely there are some mistakes or at least
questionable classifications in there which are contributing to confusion on
SpamBayes part.

Skip