[Spambayes] Using SpamBayes as a "remote filter"?

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Sat May 8 23:30:08 EDT 2004

> Unfortunately, I don't know Python but I found a script
> called sb_culler.py that is supposed to do exactly that.

Yes, I'd forgotten about that script.

> However: I spend two days in trying to get it to work without success.
> Since I'm using the Outlook-Plugin (without having python
> installed), I got two db files called
> default_bayes_database.db and default_message_database.db

The default_bayes_database.db file is the one you're after, and it's the
same file as the "hammie.db" file referred to in the script.  The
default_message_database.db is no use at all in this context (it remembers
Outlook-specific things).

[...]
> Whenever I try to start the sb_culler.py script, it says:
[...]
> "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/spambayes/storage.py", line 676, in
> open_storage
>     raise NoSuchClassifierError(db_type)
> spambayes.storage.NoSuchClassifierError: False

The sb_culler.py script is out of date (this would have worked with earlier
SpamBayes versions).  You need to change line 393 of the sb_culler.py script
from:

    h = hammie.open("cull.spambayes", False, "r")

    h = hammie.open("cull.spambayes", "dbm", "r")

=Tony Meyer

---