[Spambayes] error messages

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed Mar 24 01:13:30 EST 2004

[Stephen Ng]
> I installed v1.0a9 on my Redhat 9. Everything seems to work correctly
> except for the following error messages -
>
> [...]
>
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> '/home/sng/pop3proxy-spam-cache/1078759883'
[...]
> I don't have any anti virus running so I don't know what if anything
> has removed the file.

Yoicks!  This is a symptom of a pretty ugly sb_server bug, unless I'm
mistaken.  Basically:

  The cache directories expire their messages after a certain number of
days.

  This expiry is done on startup and also (for those that just leave it
running for a long time) on every POP3 "USER" command proxied.

  The expiry is done by removing the messages from the ham/spam/unsure
corpus (originally only the unsure one, but that left some people with
massive ham/spam cache directories).  At startup, this is fine.

  After startup, observers are attached to the ham and spam corpora so that
messages moved in and out of them are appropriately trained.  This is how
the training magic works.  However, when a message is expired, the observers
are still notified, and so training is done then, which really shouldn't
happen.

My testing seems to indicate that this is the case, unless I'm really
missing something fundamental.  The times you'd get the error are when this
happens and the message isn't in the corpus memory cache.

I'll look into this more and if this is a bug, fix it.  The fix will be in
the next release, slated (hopefully) for next week.

=Tony Meyer

---