[Spambayes] Re: If Norton finds a virus

Remi Ricard papaDoc at videotron.ca
Wed Mar 17 12:06:16 EST 2004

Hi Bethanie,

> If Norton finds a virus it sends and error message, while stopping
> mail and asks if it should quarantine. So the error message for a
> virus is NOT what I have been getting.
>
> How do I check the way my mail goes in? My OE account settings don't
> even 'show' Norton protection...

Somewhere in the configuration of OE you should have something like this
POP3 server: your.isp
port: 110
I'm guessing that the port is not 110 let say XXX

Norton is listening on some port. You should be able to find which port
in the configuration or in their manual.

SB is also listening and talking on some port:
To get the information launch a web browser then type:
http://localhost:8880
go to the configuration page
and copy what you have in:
Remote server and Spmabayes port:

I suspect the Remote server will be something like
localhost:YYY (which is the port that Norton is listening to)

>     >    Bethanie> When I open OE and the mail begins to
>     download,(let's say I
>     >    Bethanie> have 25 pieces) it may go to say 16 and then abruptly
>     >    Bethanie> stop. The error I get is that it may be a server
>     problem
>     >    Bethanie> however, I checked with my ISP and they are fine.

The server in this case is the Norton proxy  (see my previous mail)

A question for the developper of SB.
What happend if when you ask for an email you don't get anything back ?

You can also try to get a configuration like this
OE ->Norton proxy -> SB pop3proxy -> ISP
instead of like this
OE -> SB pop3proxy->Norton proxy -> ISP

Remi