[Spambayes] Errors when setting up IMAP folders to filter andtrainusing the web interface

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Sat Mar 13 03:34:38 EST 2004

> Truly, I raised the problem because I couldn't
> find another example of it and I want to help you all resolve
> any problems to make spambayes better.

A very worthwhile aim!  Hopefully after this week I won't be quite as busy
and will manage to try and fix & close some of the outstanding bugs so that
we can move on towards 1.0b1 (the poor release schedule keeps slipping and
slipping).

> With that said, I
> suspect this might be a problem with the way my company's
> imap server is configured, or something I am doing
> incorrectly.  So I am trying to investigate possible mistakes
> on my end and sending messages to you all.

Thanks, all help much appreciated.  Certainly IMAP is a complex beast and
the differences between the way different servers do things has been the
script's biggest problem.

> It WAS a file named "/".  I actually accidentally saved a
> file in 'vi' with that filename.  I removed a bunch of junk
> from my /trout/home/josh/ folder now, including that file.

That would explain why it was a literal, when the others weren't.

> > [...]
> > > Invalid response to select /trout/home/josh/mail/Newspammail:
[...]
> > It comes from imaplib (the Python standard module).  If you do:
> >
> > python

[Tries this, doesn't work]

> It doesn't appear any folder exists in my IMAP server?  It is
> odd, I guess the fact that I could "subscribe" to
> 'Newspammail' in Evolution gave me the idea that it was/is an
> Imap Folder.  I am apparently wrong.

Not necessarily.  There's probably something wrong with the instructions I
gave; maybe the folder delimiter isn't '/', or there needs to be a different
root (/mail/Newspammail or something).  In any case, now that the web
interface is working, hopefully this should not be a problem (if curious,
you could see what a folder selected looks like in your config file;
presumably it'll be different to the above).

> HA!  something has changed on my end, probably the imap
> server?  I'm not sure I am of much help now, because this
> time the web configuration listed all the folders in my home
> directory.  Wait, I bet cleaning the directory
> /trout/home/josh/ of junk and the "/" file name rectified the
> web configuration problems in my previous mail.
[...]
> I will update this thread to see if that "/" file might have
> been the whole problem.

I suspect it was some file in there, very possibly that one (since I don't
think you could actually create a folder/file on an IMAP server (properly)
that was called the same thing as the folder delimiter).

> Thanks for the help!

No worries; thanks for the patience!

=Tony Meyer

---