[Spambayes] Spambayes as an open mil relay ???

Christopher Jastram cej at intech.com
Mon Mar 1 15:21:31 EST 2004

Lee,

You probably have one of the several different worms (distributed via
email, peer-to-peer networking apps such as Kazaa, etc) that use your
computer as an open relay.  Do you have McAfee or some other antivirus
program?  Does your computer pop ads even  when you're not doing
anything online?  Many of these worms can walk right through a firewall,
because they're disguised as normal email/files/web pages.

I haven't looked at the SpamBayes code, but my suspicion would be a
Windows worm, rather than the SpamBayes code.  Of course, if you've
already checked for worms, smack me please.

Also, check out www.sysinternals.com for tools that can tell you what
processes or services are using various files and network ports.
Tremendously useful stuff (can't beat the price).

Chris