[Spambayes] RE: Filtering with Outlook 2003

Coe, Bob rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV
Mon Jun 7 09:28:01 EDT 2004

I've had the same problem, although I'm dubious about your explanation of the phenomenon. (Maybe I don't completely understand what you're doing.) I use Outlook 2000, which does not (AFAIK) have a "Cached Exchange Mode". My symptoms are pretty much the same as yours: the first scan quits early, leaving a number of unscanned messages, but a follow-up manually triggered scan finds them. I've always assumed that the fault was a peculiarly formatted message that somehow confused Spambayes. This is supported (more or less) by the fact that it seems to happen only when there are a relatively large number of messages to scan (making it more likely that the triggering conditions would occur). I'm using Windows XP SP1, but the same problem occurred, with about the same frequency, when I was still using Windows 2000 SP4.

I think, although I'm not prepared to swear it, that I've seen the problem even when Exchange is not involved, i.e. when downloading mail to my laptop from a POP3 proxy on my home computer.

Bob

MIS Department, City of Cambridge
831 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge MA 02139  ·  617-349-4217  ·  fax 617-349-6165