[Spambayes] Install Question: Debian + Spambayes

Eli Stevens (WG.c) listsub at wickedgrey.com
Thu Jan 15 12:24:36 EST 2004

King, Richard (Unix Messaging) wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'm trying to install Spambayes 1.0a7 on my Debian machine. First I
> needed python, which I installed by using the following command:
> apt-get install python2.2.
> Next I tried installing spambayes by using with this command: python
> setup.py install. However, I get the following error message when I
> try using the setup.py script.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 12, in ?
>     from distutils.core import setup
> ImportError: No module named distutils.core
>
> Any suggestions? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

An "apt-get install python2.2-dev" should do the trick for you.  :)  In my
limited Debian experience, getting package foo will allow you to run
programs written in foo, while foo-dev will allow you to write programs in
foo.  That doesn't really seem to be the case here, but...

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=distutils&searchon=all&subword=1&case=insensitive&version=all&release=all

Package python-dev
  stable (interpreters): Header files and a static library for Python
(default)
    2.1.3-3: alpha arm hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc s390 sparc
  testing (python): Header files and a static library for Python (default)
    2.3.3-4: alpha arm hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc s390 sparc
  unstable (python): Header files and a static library for Python (default)
    2.3.3-5: alpha arm hppa hurd-i386 i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc
s390 sparc

Package python2.2-dev
  stable (interpreters): Header files and a static library for Python (v2.2)
    2.2.1-4: alpha arm hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc s390 sparc
  testing (python): Header files and a static library for Python (v2.2)
    2.2.3-7: alpha arm hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc s390 sparc
  unstable (python): Header files and a static library for Python (v2.2)
    2.2.1.91-1: hurd-i386
    2.2.3-7: alpha arm hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc s390 sparc

Are you running a pure stable system?  I've 2.3 installed locally and
everything seems to work fine (though the system just hosts my personal MTA
and Apache; I wouldn't call it production).  I run everything stable except
for this.

HTH,
Eli

--
Give a man some mud, and he plays for a day.
Teach a man to mud, and he plays for a lifetime.