[Spambayes] Outlook98

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 9 09:11:53 EST 2004

Maurice Bush wrote:
> Why can't the current version of SpamBayes be used with Outlook98?

Obviously, Microsoft tries to enhance Outlook with each new release, and
that includes new programming interfaces.  The interface that allows us
to integrate directly into Outlook was not added until Outlook 2000.

> I hope there is some way that I can use
> SpamBayes and Outlook98 together.

There is, as long as you are using a POP3 mail account.  In addition to
the integrated Outlook plug-in, SpamBayes also has a POP3 proxy that
sits between your mail client and your POP3 server.  It isn't as tightly
integrated as the plug-in, but it is just as effective at filtering your
spam.  The Web browser-based user interface is pretty easy to use once
you get used to it, and we also welcome feedback on how it could be
improved.

Currently, to run the POP3 proxy you'll need to install Python (and
probably the win32all extensions since you are on Windows), then
download and extract the 1.0a7 source archive and run from that.  There
are some instructions for setting this up included in the archive.
Alternatively, you can wait a little while until a beta version of our
new binary installer is released, which will include an option to
install the proxy version.

--
Kenny Pitt