[Spambayes] Latest spammer trick stymied - QUESTION

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sun Jan 4 02:56:59 EST 2004

[Tracy Mccastle]
> I have been receiving e-mail from Nudesletter.com and would like to
> get rid of it.  there is no link to remove or unsubscribe.  When I
> try to reply to the message, I receive a delivery failure notice.
> can you help me get off this list?

Sorry, nobody can take you off that list except the spammers who send you
the email to begin with, and it sounds like they've made it clear they
won't.  If you like fighting battles, you can ask for your ISP's help to
track them down.  For a start, clicking this:

    http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryinput=!%20NET-65-39-210-0-1

will get you the registered contact information for the company that "owns"
the www.nudesletter.com IP address (65.39.210.10).

One caution:  it's generally a bad idea to click on a "remove me" link in
spam that has such a link.  If you do click on it, it confirms to the
spammer that your email address is "live".  Then they can sell your address
to other spammers.  The result is that you get more spam, not less.
Replying to spam isn't as bad, because-- as you've discovered --spammers
usually forge a phony reply-to address (or, worse, forge a real address, but
of someone who has nothing to do with the spammers).  So replying is usually
futile too (at best -- at worst it annoys someone unrelated to the
spammers).