[Spambayes] SpamBayes -- initial problem

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Feb 12 01:37:34 EST 2004

> The "Welcome" text opens in a browser window.  I actually
> read it -- there's a line that says this:
>
> "Outlook does not allow us to automatically add the spam
> score to your Outlook folder views - but you can do it
> manually by following these instructions."
>
> This is from a file called Welcome.html from the install
> directory.  So I clicked on "following these instructions".
> Unfortunately, the "following these instructions" link is a
> hyperlink to a file on the E drive.  I don't have an E-drive,
> so of course this link is broken.

Thanks.  This has been fixed in the 1.0a9 (0.9) release, which is being
released at the moment.

> Second:  On Outlook's SpamBayes toolbar, the Help/About page
> should certainly give the version number somewhere.  That's
> the law in Windows programs!

Well, the version number is on the Manager dialog's front page, which is
somewhere that people are more likely to find it.  If there was an "About"
item that opened up a dialog box, like many Windows applications have, then
sure, it should have the version number, but I'm not so sure about a html
page.  The purpose is really different too - standard "About" dialog boxes
have version numbers, authors, copyright and stuff like this, whereas the
"About SpamBayes" link is really just a help page, like you'd find in a
manual (which is why it's under the Help submenu, rather than as an item on
it's own).

That said, if you really feel that it should be there, please open a feature
request on sourceforge - feature requsts via the mailing list tend to get
lost.  The main reason it's not there now is because it's yet another place
to have to update the version number - the html files aren't generated
automatically, whereas the dialogs are.

=Tony Meyer

---