[Spambayes] Problem with imap under linux.-part 6

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Thu Aug 5 20:59:22 CEST 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 11:07:48AM -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 03:26:33PM +1200, Tony Meyer wrote:
> > > When I click configure folders to filter I return:
> > >
> > > 500 Server error
> > >
> > > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > [...]
> > > 	      File "/usr/bin/sb_imapfilter.py", line 296, in
> > > 	      folder_list
> > > 	          m = r.search(fol)
> > >
> > > 		  TypeError: expected string or buffer
> > [...]
> > > Clearly there is still somthing I don't understan about this
> > > interface.
> >
> > This is a bug, of sorts (or so it appears).  Your IMAP server is returning
> > something odd from the LIST command, which sb_imapfilter can't handle.  To
> > debug this, could you run this?
> >
> > > python
> > ('OK', ['[CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 IDLE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS BINARY
> > UNSELECT SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND] User
> > authenticated'])
> > ('OK', ['(\\NoInferiors) NIL INBOX'])
> > ('BYE', ['mail.example.com IMAP4rev1 server terminating connection'])
> >
> Ok, I tried your test. Everything went as you indicate above until the i.list. The result was lots of lines of
> stuff I can't understand, maybe you'all can. I include it bellow with trepidation for reasons that you will
> understand when your see it. The @ symols seem to be nulls which do not take up real space. Any help would be
> appreciated.

> akonstam at Hardy akonstam]$ pythoin
> Python 2.3.3 (#1, May  7 2004, 10:31:40)
> [GCC 3.3.3 20040412 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.3-7)] on linux2
> ('OK', ['[CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 IDLE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND] User akonstam authenticated'])
A lot of space consuming garbage.<--
> <bound method IMAP4.logout of <imaplib.IMAP4 instance at 0xf6f8fdec>>
> ('BYE', ['Sol.CS.Trinity.Edu IMAP4rev1 server terminating connection'])
> >>>
> ]0;akonstam at Hardy:~[akonstam at Hardy akonstam]$ exit

Again let me apologize for sending so much space consuming garbage in
my last note. I did not realize how big it really was, The question is
what is i.list supposed to return. It seems to be some mailboxes I
assume on the server. Well what is doing is returning references to
directories, especially HTML directories on the server unrelated to
mail. Is the mail server supposed to be running an imap server when
these commands are executed? Something is clearly wrong .
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.