[Spambayes] Upgrade problem

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Aug 5 02:37:14 CEST 2004

> I recently upgraded to spambayes-1.0rc2 from spambayes-1.0a7.
> At first everything worked fine but now spambayes isn't filtering
> and when I try to train I get this error:
[...]
> DBRunRecoveryError: (-30978, 'DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error,
> run database
> recovery -- PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery')

This means the database is dead.  The only solution is deleting it and
retraining from scratch.  We're unclear on any remaining causes for this
problem (apart from accessing the database from two processes simultaneously
and failing to complete training for some reason (like power failure)).  If
you can reproduce it reliably we'd be interested in hearing how - although I
think our long term solution is to simply move to a different database
system.

Sometimes this problem takes a while to manifest (which makes debugging it
even harder), so it's possible that the problem occurred with 1.0a7 (which
IIRC still had some (now) known causes for this).  Hopefully it won't happen
again.  (IAC, SpamBayes learns very quickly).

> I looked in the spambayes folder for a db_runrecovery but
> didn't find it.

This is a bsddb tool that we don't have, and couldn't use anyway (we don't
use bsddb in the right way).

> Also, how can I tell which version of spambayes I'm using?

That depends which application you're using.  If it's the Outlook plug-in,
then it's in the SpamBayes Manager dialog.  If it's sb_server, it's at the
bottom of the web interface, and both sb_server and sb_imapfilter print out
version info when run.  I'm not sure about sb_filter - I think you'd have to
run python, do "import spambayes" and then "print spambayes.__version__".

=Tony Meyer

---