[Spambayes] sb_imapfilter.py not adding headers / moving messages

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Apr 27 04:14:32 EDT 2004

> Ok, got it working!

Great, thanks :)

> The sleeping didn't help at all (well, at least not with 15
> seconds of sleeping) ... but a simple NOOP brought things up
> in the search right away (and didn't add any useless time
> delays too thankfully).

A no-op should be fairly painless, and given that you found a reference to
the problem, I agree that it's worth having.

> I'd suggest putting it in the general release even though it
> seems like an IMAP server issue, who knows how many other
> servers may have this quirk.

I will.  I noticed that you added it to the bug tracker, so next time I'm
processing those I'll check this in (it'll be before the next release
anyway).

> Just put:
>
> imap.noop()
>
> in the area we were talking about (roughly line 510, after
> self._check(response, 'store'))

I might even go stronger, and do what the reference you posted said - do a
no-op until a new EXISTS message is received (or some sort of limit is
reached).

> Now all the evidence / score headers etc are showing up properly, the
> messages are getting moved to the proper folder, and
> everything is great.

Great :)

> Only problem left now is figuring out what's tripping up the
> parsing with some messages.  I'll try to locate a common denominator
> in the faliling messages .....

Do these crash imapfilter or does it keep going and add an
X-SpamBayes-Exception header?  It should be the latter, although this has
had limited testing (and is a relatively recent addition).

The actual traceback itself sounded fairly familiar.  I think someone posted
a problem like this (but with sb_filter) in the last couple of days.  There
have been various parsing problems (typically spam not ham) in the past -
the usual fix is to work around it so that the email parser can do its
thing, although there is a more 'relaxed' parser in the (Python) works.

IAC, if you do come up with a solution, or even identify the particular
problem, let us know and we'll add any appropriate patch.