[Spambayes] Can I configure spambayes to run manually?

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed Apr 21 20:35:09 EDT 2004

> When I open Outlook,  sometimes (especially when
> syncing remote mail) it takes awhile for Outlook to
> open completely as it is waiting for spambayes to do
> its thing.

Is this a delay while SpamBayes filters mail (avoidable) or while SpamBayes
loads (not avoidable)?  If the latter, then maybe you could reduce the size
of your databases?  Some people have massive databases (10's or 100's of
thousands of trained messages) when a small database (a few hundred
messages) works better, *and* faster (judging on all the testing I've seen).

Perhaps disabling the "background filtering" option ("Advanced" tab in the
SpamBayes manager dialog) would help?  Note that (unless your rules are
running on an Exchange server) this may cause (minor) troubles if you have
Outlook rules that move incoming mail about.

> Is there a manual setting that I can use to run spambayes
> after I have opened outlook and synced my mail already?
> (Instead of it running upon outlook startup)

You can stop SpamBayes filtering automatically, yes (but unless you
uninstall it, or disabled it with Outlook, it will still *load*, which means
dialog.

To run manually, choose the "Filter messages" item from the SpamBayes menu.
Choose the folder(s) you want to filter, and away you go.

=Tony Meyer

---