[Spambayes] No SpamBayes Markings

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Apr 20 20:35:00 EDT 2004

> I run Outlook Express on Win98 SE with Norton
> Antivirus. Norton places itself between the POP
> servers, of which I have two, and the mail app;
> the mail app sees only one server, Norton, and only
> one port, 110. So, I placed SpamBayes between Norton
> and Outlook Express; it sees pop3.Norton.Antivirus
> via port 110.
>
> While I have trained about a thousand emails,

Note that this may be many more than you need.  Note also that it's best to
train roughly the same amount of ham as spam.

> and
> noted on setup to mark only "Spam", I have seen no
> markings, and SpamBayes statistics show "SpamBayes has
> processed zero messages".
>
> So, where have I erred?

Where is Outlook Express connecting to?  If it's to
pop3.Norton.Antivirus:110, then that's the problem (it's the most likely).
It should be connecting to wherever you have put SpamBayes (possibly
localhost:110).  However, even though the Norton address is
"pop3.Northon.Antivirus", I suspect this is just an alias for your machine's
address (i.e. localhost).  This would mean that you need to use a different
port than 110 for SpamBayes, because Norton already has 110 taken.  In the
SpamBayes configuration, set the 'local port' option to something else
(8110, for example), and be sure that Outlook Express is connecting to that
port (in the Advanced tab).

> OBTW, I attempted to execute sb_services via the DOS window,
> and get an error for a mission DLL.

IIRC, Windows 98 doesn't have any concept of services.  I believe Microsoft
introduces these with Windows 2000.  IAC, you have no need for it; sb_server
should work fine.

=Tony Meyer

---