[Spambayes] When a message is mis-identified as spam

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Apr 13 19:46:26 EDT 2004

You're using Microsoft Outlook (not Express), yes?  If not, then everything
else in this mail is invalid; I can explain that situation, too, just ask.

> Every time my Mom emails me, her email goes directly
> to my deleted folder before I even see it.

I presume you mean your spam folder (or "Junk mail", or whatever it is
called) here and not the Deleted Items folder.  SpamBayes isn't capable of
moving mail to the Deleted Items folder.

> How can I train spambayes to recognize her as a friendly sender?

Go to the Spam/Junk Mail folder and click the message.  In the SpamBayes
toolbar at the top of the window there should be a button named "Recover
>From Spam".  If you click that the message will be both moved back to its
original location and trained as "good" mail.  Make sure you do this for all
the good mail that ends up in the Spam/Junk Mail folder.

Unless mail from your Mom looks a lot like some sort of spam that you get,
it should only take training a single message to stop this happening (at the
least the messages should end up in the "Possible Spam"/"Possible Junk"
folder instead).

If this doesn't help, then what would help us figure out what is happening
is selecting one of the messages that's incorrectly classified and choosing
"Show Spam Clues" from the drop-down SpamBayes menu on the toolbar.  This
will open up a new message with the 'clues' that SpamBayes used to make its
decision.  If you email this to us (spambayes at python.org) then we can see
why it was classified as it was.

=Tony Meyer

---