[Spambayes] Are there plans for a daemonized or compiled version of Spambayes?

Martinez, Michael MMARTINEZ at CSREES.USDA.GOV
Sat Sep 20 13:49:25 EDT 2003

Hi Guys,

I've been running Spambayes on our agency Linux smtp gateway for several
months and very happy with its classification of spam. My gateway is a
qmail system and it pipes all incoming email through the hammiefilter
prior to delivery.

However, a performance problem arises when the gateway gets hit during
peak hours with a lot of emails. What happens is the system slows down
tremendously, in part due to the number of python instances that get
forked in order to scan the emails.

I was wondering: are there any plans to develop a lightweight,
daemonized version of Spambayes?

In the same vein, are there plans to port it to C or another compiled
language? How difficult would this be?

Any suggestions on how to lessen the impact on the system resources
under a heavy email load?

Thanks,

Michael Martinez

Linux System Administrator