[Spambayes] Simple and Direct

John Coulter coulters at netspace.net.au
Wed Oct 22 08:02:03 EDT 2003

Dear Tony,
Thank you for your help so far. You must be incredibly patient. I double
clicked the 'pop3proxy_tray.py' file and I also tried running it from
the windows 'Run' option but neither gave me an icon on the screen such
as you described. I have nonetheless put the file 'pop3proxy_tray.py' in
the startup menu so it should load every time on startup. Also in the
directory C:\spambayes-1.0a5\windows I noticed a file called
autoconfigure which I double clicked thinking that it might do what its
name implies but it did not seem to change anything and when I opened it
to read its contents it seemed a description of what needs to be
configured but the terms don't mean anything to me.
As mentioned earlier I don't know  whether there is any difference
between a pop3 and a pop and while I can see what the general idea is,
namely, channelling incoming mails through an intermediate detector to
separate spam from ham, I can't understand enough of the jargon to be
sure what and where to change things.
Here are my present settings:
In Netspace 7.0 under edit/preferences/advanced/proxies there are five
lines as follows:
HTTP Proxy: proxy.netspace.net.au  Port 8080
SSL Proxy:         blank                    Port 0
FTP Proxy:         blank                    Port 0
Gopher Proxy:     blank                    Port 0
Socks Host:         blank                    Port 0
Under that the option 'Socks v5' is checked
Then a line which reads 'No proxy for:' followed by a blank space
And below that again 'Automatic proxy configuration URL:' is not checked

In the same general window 'Edit/Preferences/Advanced/HTTP networking,
there are two sides:
Direct Connection
Use HTTP 1.1 is checked as is Enable keep alive
and on the other side
Proxy Connection options
Use HTTP 1.1 is checked as is Enable keep alive

Then under Mail and Newsgroups Account settings:
Server Settings
Server Name: pop.netspace.net.au
User Name: coulters
Port 110

Also under Mail and Newsgroups Account Settings
Addressing: When looking up addresses: checked is 'use my global LDAP
server preferences for this account'

Also
Outgoing Server (SMTP)
Server Name: mail.netspace.net.au

There is also a facility for adding an account. I don't know whether
this is an option that could be used with spambayes?

I have replaced both the Server Name as well as the SMTP settings with
the word 'localhost' but could not retrieve any emails.

Running 'C:\spambayes-1.0a5\build\scripts-2.3\pop3proxy.py -b' briefly
opens a dos window followed by the Netscape window  showing the address
http://localhost: 8880/ and the 'My Connection' window. If I click
'connect' I get the message 'The requested URL could not be retrieved'.

I apologise for burdening you with all of this as I suspect that most is
not relevant - but I don't know exactly what to change and where to
change it. Since we started this correspondence I have accumulated 465
spams - about 40% of all the messages I have received so you can
understand my desire to get your program working.

With best wishes,
John