[Spambayes] Undergraduate Alumni Questionnaire - Please Help

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 7 09:40:15 EST 2003

Neale Pickett wrote:
> Then, "Kenny Pitt" <kennypitt at hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> OK, this is either a blatant case of mistaken identity, or the
>> strangest spam I've ever seen. :-)
>
> It looks like identity theft to me.  This sort of thing will probably
> make spam filtering a whole lot more relevant to a lot of people.
>
> Scary.
>

> Carol Ann Halseth <cah11 at cornell.edu> writes:
>
>> LAST:
>> FIRST:
>> SSN:
>> MAILING ADDRESS:
>> PHONE:
>> PERMANENT (Parent's) ADDRESS:
>> PERM. PHONE:
>> Position:
>> Employer:
>> Address:

Actually, in this instance it did turn out to be a legitimate case of
mistaken identity.  I got a personal message from her explaining that
she had done a Google search for a former student in her department, and
this list was the only e-mail address that popped up.  You can go to the
Cornell University website at www.cornell.edu and do a people search for
Carol Ann Halseth, and she is a legitimate member of the faculty.

However, this is exactly the sort of thing that not-so-legitimate people
will take advantage of for identity theft or other scams.  IMHO, not the
kind of transaction that should be conducted via e-mail, and I would
definitely want to confirm who I was sending to and why before I replied
with all that sensitive info.

--
Kenny Pitt