[Spambayes] RE: [Spambayes-checkins] spambayes/spambayes Options.py,1.22,1.23

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Fri Mar 14 16:53:41 EST 2003

> See above - that the ConfigParser didn't expose this interface is
> probably just an indication that no-one had needed to do this before.
> There's been a lot of changes in it for Python2.3, so it seems like
> you're not the first person to run into this.

Indeed, almost as an aside (so it seems) this was done.  <sigh> If
only I'd checked the Python CVS first...

> If the 2.3 ConfigParser class is better, there's nothing
> saying we can't include it in the package (we already do this with
> the sets and heapq module).

Well, my UpdatableConfigParser still adds functionality - most
particularly, it lets OptionConfig.py (and 'one day soon' Outlook)
update config files without stripping comments.  It will work as is
with Python 2.2.2, but it has the deplorable ;) hooks into the private
attributes.  It should work exactly the same with the CVS Python
(without the hooks, changing __sections and __read to _sections and _read).

So, do we:
(a) include the latest ConfigParser, so that the code can be all
    the same?
(b) have a version check that does the ugly hooking if we're pre
    2.3, and otherwise is nice?
(c) get Tony to give up on this ;)