[Spambayes] Storing Options

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Fri Mar 14 15:51:50 EST 2003

I don't think I was very clear.  Let me try again:

[Skip]
> Hmmm...  What applications modify config files?
pop3proxy (via OptionConfig) and the Outlook plugin.  These are the only two applications with a ui at the moment, aren't they?  So they'd be the only ones that do it.

> That usually  seems to me to be the province of special
> config file editors or humans armed with text
> editors.  You're not proposing that applications
> like pop3proxy should modify them are you?
Those applications aimed more at end user type people will have some sort of capability to change options, and will need to be able to store these somehow, so the applications will edit them.  This doesn't remove the ability to manually edit them - and in some applications (those that use hammie, for example), this (hand-edit) would probabably always be the only option.

[TimS]
> I'm reasonably sure that there is code in several places that
> modifies specific options temporarily
[...]
> I suppose persisting option changes should be explicit.
I'm not proposing changes on that magnitude!  In operation, I would think nothing much would change.  The config file(s) would be (and are) changed only when the user clicks the save button in the web ui config page, or clicks OK in the Outlook manager dialog, or ...

[Mark]
> My understanding is that an updatable options class would allow the
> pop3proxy configuration page to save its options back to a
> file.
Which is exactly what it does now (although not as nicely as it could).  This idea is to improve how this is done, behind the scenes (before we get to beta and it's too late!).