[Spambayes] assist SpamBayes project

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Tue Jun 24 18:45:03 EDT 2003

> I've been using SpamBayes for several months now and I think
> you have a very strong product. I would like to offer any
> help, whether in testing or documentation. Please let me know
> how I can assist.

Welcome!  As Tim said, the best place to start is with whatever you are
interested in, or whichever Spambayes application you use (pop3proxy,
Outlook plugin, imapfilter, hammie...).

I presume since you said testing/documentation you aren't planning on
coding.  In that case, the easiest place to start would probably be to
write up (or amend an existing document) anything you had difficulty
doing.  Apart from that, feel free to go through what documentation
there currently is and suggest improvements - one that I'd personally
like to see at some point is a movement from the current readme, which
is really aimed at developers, to one for users.

Regarding testing, there are two main types of testing.  The first is to
simply use as many of the applications as is practicable, and report any
difficulties that arise (either bugs or ways things could improve).
Either discussion on the -dev list, or if you're confident, open an item
on the sf system (http://sf.net/projects/spambayes).

The other sort of testing is testing the various tokenizer/classifier
options.  If you're interested in this sort of testing that would be
great!  The idea is that you set up a set of ham/spam data in a standard
form, and then run a testing script over it with various options
set/unset.  There are instructions in the readme & in the archives, or
ask if you need help.  A good one to start with would be seeing if the
experimental_ham_spam_imbalance_adjustment option has a positive effect
for your corpus or not.

(Actually, to combine testing and documentation, you could write a
somewhat simpler "how to test an option/patch" document, based on the
information in the readme and elsewhere).

Anyway, those are some ideas, feel free to contibute in some completely
different way :)