[Spambayes] Pop3proxy training suddenly quit working - pop3proxy is incompatible with fetchmail!

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Sun Jul 27 00:20:11 EDT 2003

I found the cause of the problem - pop3proxy is incompatible with
fetchmail!

The reason that pop3proxy message caching and training quit working for me
on July 18 is because that is the day I quit retrieving my mail via POP
directly from a MUA (Evolution in my case) and switched to having
fetchmail do the POP retrieval.

By turning on the [globals] verbose flag I was able to find out that
fetchmail does a "TOP 1 99999999" POP command instead of a "RETR" command
to bring down a message.

Furthermore, in pop3proxy.py, class BayesProxy, method onRetr(), line
439 in the 1.0a4 version, the code that actually moves the message into
the cache is gated by the following statement:

    if command == 'RETR':

I verified that in the case of fetchmail bringing down the mail, onRetr()
is called with command == 'TOP'. So that "if" statement effectively
prevents caching and training of messages for everyone using fetchmail.

I'm surprised this one wasn't caught earlier.

I can hack around this for my own use by perhaps changing the "if"
statement to look like:

    if command == 'RETR' or command == 'TOP':

but I wouldn't advise this for general use until I understood why that
"if" statement was there in the first place. Perhaps it was felt that MUA's
would do a TOP command that wouldn't bring down enough lines to classify
the message well enough. In that case we could check the parameters of the
TOP command to see if it is being used to effectively bring down the whole
message, like fetchmail does.