[Spambayes] use as generic classifier? (not just spam/ham)

Neale Pickett neale at woozle.org
Fri Jan 31 09:42:54 EST 2003

Mourad De Clerck <mourad at aquazul.com> writes:

> when a new mail arrives on the mailserver, I'd like that mail to be
> "scored" against all these folders and subfolders (maildirs), and for it
> to be delivered to the folder that corresponds to the system's "best
> guess". If the scores for all folders are within a certain (smallish)
> range (percentage), the system's best guess is not good enough and it
> should just be delivered to the standard inbox.

While I haven't used it myself, I think you just described ifile:
http://www.nongnu.org/ifile/

I don't there's nothing stopping you from hacking spambayes to do n-way
classification, although I don't compeletely understand all the math
yet, so I couldn't say for sure.  If you can get spambayes to do this
trick, I at least would like to try folding this in to our sources.  But
I think it would be difficult, since currently everything about
spambayes is geared to having two categories.

Neale