[Spambayes] separating training stuff from pop3proxy - how hard?

richie at entrian.com richie at entrian.com
Thu Jan 16 08:54:09 EST 2003

[Skip]
> I'm interested in separating the POP stuff from
> the training/web stuff.  Maybe I could simply delete the POP stuff and see
> what's left. ;-)

I think you'd be surprised at how well that would work.  8-)

I've already done half of this job - I need to give it some more testing,
but it's pretty much there.  The POP3 proxy and the web UI are already
fairly independent - they don't communicate directly, but instead refer to
a common set of FileCorpuses.  The new version will enable me to pull them
apart completely, into three separate files - a core server component, the
POP proxy and the web interface.  (Though I'll commit under the current
all-in-pop3proxy.py arrangement first to make it easier to track changes
through CVS.)

Soon you'll be able to run a "Spambayes Server" that provides either the
POP3 proxy or the web interface or both, with no dependencies.  The work
I'll be committing this week is a step towards that.  You should be able
to add a listen-for-incoming-messages-by-HTTP-or-whatever component very
easily - it will plug into the core server and poke messages into the
FileCorpuses in the same way that the POP3 proxy does now.

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com