[Spambayes] spambayes fronting a mailing list?

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Thu Jan 16 00:28:24 EST 2003

Barry,

If your going into the administrative interface anyway ...
When I used to get a message from Mailman about a message being held for
my approval, the first page I hit told me why, whether it was too large,
non-member post, whatever. Now I have to jump to a second page to learn
that for each sender (and it's normally only one message per sender).
Since you are putting up the neat summary windows with all the options on
that first page, could we please have the reason for the hold in there?
Pretty please?

As to how long it would take to make a difference, based on what folks
have said here I suspect that any list with ten messages a day would be
over 99% accurate by the end of a week. Since half my Mailman moderation
is probably spam these days, I'm looking forward to it.

Van

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

>     SM> I know Barry's working on spambayes integration with Mailman.
>     SM> Pretend I can't wait that long. ;-) Ignoring training issues
>     SM> (I can solve them without much problem), should I be able to
>     SM> just stick "hammie.py -f ..." in front of mailman in my
>     SM> aliases file and then just edit my "hold postings" regular
>     SM> expression?  Am I missing something obvious?
>
> This ought to work fairly well, I think, modulo the training issue.
> My idea was to not train the list at all, before turning on
> spambayes.  So the first batch of messages will all get held as
> unsure, and you'd use the admindb page to accept and reject messages.
> Accept messages would train as ham and rejected messages would get
> trained as spam.
>
> The u/i for these options is undecided -- maybe you have an additional
> "train as..." radio button.  I don't think this matters much right
> now.
>
> So as your list warms up, you'll be training the system.  I wonder how
> long it'll take before spambayes gets pretty good at detecting what's
> appropriate and what's not for your list?
>
> -Barry

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,