[Spambayes] [ spambayes-Feature Requests-680629 ] Outlook plugin: Delete asspam marks as read

Wed Feb 26 16:04:44 EST 2003

2/26/2003 3:48:33 PM, "Meyer, Tony" <T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz> wrote:

>[TimS]
>> This is an interesting thread.  I think it should move to the
>> main list.
>> Pop3proxy has a very similar configuration function, which manages
>> options into bayescustomize.ini (by default).  This is
>> another area that we should solve the problem once...
>
>Are you talking about the .ini file comments, and not the 'mark as read'
ones?

Yes.

>A couple of points:
>* It certainly would be nice if all the non-core stuff (like [pop3proxy]) was
not in the main options, so that those systems that didn't use it didn't have
to load it.  (For example, pop3proxy and ui could be stored in a
pickle/separate ini file).

I see no use for a pickle here.  Why keep an ini file and a pickle in sync?
Just use the ini file as the persistence.  ConfigParser does this now anyway.

>  However, this would break existing systems,

Breaking existing systems isn't bad if we fix them... <wink>

> so is bad, plus those that use those systems might not like it as much.
Plus those without any GUI would still need the options in the ini file.  So
probably -1 for this, as abstractly nice as it would be.
>* The current function in pop3proxy that updates the ini file is nice and
small, but wipes any comments in the file, which it would be nice to keep.  I
have a replacement for this that *my* Outlook plugin uses.  I have been
thinking about abstracting this out, and making it a function of (probably)
the Options class.  Pop3proxy could then use this function, so that there is
only one set of code, and comments can be saved.

This sounds good to me.  I wonder if the Options file is really what we need
to carry forward, though.  A simple ini file is really more useful and
maintainable (imo), and the options module could easily be modified to support
the same syntax that it supports now, but read from an ini file.  The syntax
is the only value that it adds now anyway, and that's what should be
preserved.  Dumb beats smart in this instance, for sure.  Let's keep it
simple.

c'est moi - TimS
http://www.fourstonesExpressions.com
http://wecanstopspam.org