[Spambayes] Outlook Express and pop3proxy

Fri Feb 7 10:42:42 EST 2003

It turns out that outlook express is unable to examine headers, except for
to:, cc:, and subject:.  OE is a relatively well used client, not nearly as
common as outlook, but it comes as a default with every winduhz installation,
so everyone has it.  We should probably support it somehow.

I propose that we include classification in the to: header.  This will not
break any reply functionality, and will not insert information into an area of
the mail that could be inadvertently seen by someone else or spoofed by a
spammer.

The second consideration is particularly important, I think.  If we have a to:
header of:

    To: tim at fourstonesExpressions.com, richie at entrian.com

and we change that header to:

    To: spamtim at fourstonesExpressions.com, richie at entrian.com

then OE can be configured to look for 'spam<your address>' and filter
accordingly.  However, if the spammer puts 'ham<youraddress>' in the to: field
(for example), the mail will bounce.

It would be relatively simple to do this.  We could have a boolean option like
'pop3proxy-notate-to:' that controls whether or not the to: header is marked
up, which could be configured from the configuration page.  Does this solve
the problem?

c'est moi - TimS
http://www.fourstonesExpressions.com
http://wecanstopspam.org