[Spambayes] Exceptionally well-done identity-theft spam

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Dec 29 16:08:18 EST 2003

    Tim> If you get something like the attached, don't go to the website and
    Tim> "update" your PayPal account information.  I just got this, and my
    Tim> classifier scored it at 1% (0.01).  It looks a lot like real email
    Tim> from PayPal -- both to me, and to my classifier.

Yeah, this is a stinker.  I get them all the time.  Interestingly enough,
your message scored 0.69 for me.  It probably would have scored as spam
except it came from you. ;-)

The real kicker here is this URL:

    http://www.paypal.com%65%6B%6A%68%61%73%6B%6A%71%70%77%6F%70%77%6F@%32%31%31.%36%33.%31%36%32.%39%33:%37%33%30%31/%70%61%79%70%61%6C.%68%74%6D

which unmangles to:

    http://www.paypal.comekjhaskjqpwopwo@211.63.162.93:7301/paypal.htm

I'm not about to visit that URL, but I'm almost certain it will look just
like a PayPal page and that 211.63.162.93 is not in PayPal's universe.

This suggests some more possible things to try:

    * URLs which have usernames in them

    * URLs which refer to non-standard ports

    * URLs with IP addresses instead of hostnames (in addition to specific
      hosts or networks)

I haven't looked to see if any of these are already recognized, but all
three techniques seem to be prevalent or required by such scams.

Skip