[Spambayes] Dictionary Analysis Tool

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 12 15:00:59 EST 2003

Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     >> spamcounts.py -r '.*'
>
>     Seth> Ooo, I like that.  Since I am running the Outlook plug-in,
what do
>     Seth> I have to do to be able to use this?  Won't there be a
conflict if
>     Seth> I bring in the source modules from CVS and run the install
>     Seth> scripts?
>
> Dunno.  That's a question for a Windows SB developer.  I would think
> you could simply run from source.  I think Kenny posted how to
> --register with COM if you're running from source.

Yes, you could run everything from source.  That would be my
recommendation if you have any intention of playing around with how
things work.

However, it shouldn't cause any conflicts to have both the binary
install and the source version as long as you don't do the "addin.py
--register" dance.  The binary packages everything it needs to run, and
doesn't care at all about other source versions or even other versions
of Python that are installed.  The only potential conflict would be if
the binary was using a different database format than the source code
version, but I don't think that would be an issue because the database
format hasn't changed in quite awhile.

>     Seth> Also, which CVS version should we work with, considering we
are
>     Seth> not developers but would want to contribute working stuff to
you?

> Just set up for cvs access and always use the trunk.  While it might
> be slightly less stable than the latest release, I'm sure there are
> several people who actually rely on it to filter their mail (I do),
> so there aren't likely to be too many end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it
> bugs lurking there.

I do, as well, and I haven't found it to be any less stable than the
0.81 binary.  There have actually been quite a few things fixed since
then.  The one thing I would add is that once you get a copy of the
source, don't do a "cvs update" as long as it's working well for you.
That way you won't risk picking up new bugs or partially-implemented
features.

--
Kenny Pitt