[Spambayes] Re: Installing Spambayes

Jerome Lyles lylesj002 at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Dec 3 01:34:30 EST 2003

On Sunday 30 November 2003 22:04, you wrote:
> [Please always direct spambayes questions to the spambayes mailing list
> <spambayes at python.org>, not individual developers.]

I will.

> > I wrote earlier about not being able to connect to localhost
> > using spambayes to connect to my pop3 server.  Now I have another
> > problem.  I uninstalled then attempted to reinstalled Spambayes.
> > I cannot.  The error message is:
> > running install_lib
> > creating /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/spambayes
> > error: could not create '/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/spambayes':
> > Permission denied
>
> This seems a fairly straight-forward message.  You don't have permission to
> create the directory named in the message.  To install spambayes, you do
> need that permission; either install it somewhere else, or get permission.

It's spambayes setup script that installs spambayes in the directory above.
If I wanted to use a different directory I would have to modify the script,
is this what you advise me to do?

> > I can install Spambayes and start the server as root but when
> > I use a browser
> > to go to http://localhost:8080/ I get the error message:
> > Cannot connect to localhost
>
> Are you deliberately using port 8080, rather than the default of 8880?  If
> not, you may simply be using the wrong address.  What does the console
> window where spambayes is running have in it?
>
> =Tony Meyer

I was using the wrong port number,thank you.
When I try to save the configuration I get this error message:
------
 File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/spambayes/Dibbler.py", line 267, in
__init__
    self.bind(port)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/asyncore.py", line 300, in bind
    return self.socket.bind(addr)

  File "<string>", line 1, in bind

error: (98, 'Address already in use')

I'm using port 25 as my smtp port in spambayes configuration and port 110 as
my pop3 port.  I have four pop3 accounts, one of which I setup for  spambayes
to monitor.  All four pop3 accounts are setup to use port 110.

Which address then is already in use?