[Spambayes] Bounce SPAM

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Fri Aug 29 17:50:58 EDT 2003

> Hi, I recently found a program that will send a Fake Bounce
> e-mail to the sender, I saw something by searching thru the
> site about it being a bad idea, by causing who-ever's email
> they faked, and by validating to the spammers that you had a
> valid e-mail, but this program I found looked pretty
> convincing to me that it was a real bounced e-mail.

You've said yourself why this is a bad idea, and why it won't (ever,
probably) be added to spambayes.  It's near impossible to accurately
determine who sent a message, so impossible to accurately determine who
to bounce one back to.  In the rare case that the address is accurate,
then you are definitely telling the spammer that your address is valid,
and in this case (since you want a manual operation, not an automatic
one), that the message was (at least partially) read.

The last thing we want to do is *add* to the flood of bounce messages.
Just take a look at how many got sent/received over the last week.