[Spambayes] SpamBayes as a gatway solution

Peter Beckman beckman at purplecow.com
Thu Aug 28 18:52:22 EDT 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Meyer, Tony wrote:

> >  What about a modified SpamBayes, where each incoming email
> > address has/creates  its own database?  That way, each user
> > would still have their own  individualized database, but they
> > would all use the same codebase.
>
> What are you saving here, though?  You're just moving the expense of the
> storage and processing to the server; clients tend to have this in
> abundance, servers have little to spare.  The only advantages that I see
> are that you save the cost of transferring mail between the server and
> the client, and clients don't have to install extra software.

 Users cannot and should not be left responsible for filtering spam.  They
 are usually stupid and computer illiterate, and won't be able to upgrade
 themselves.  A single codebase is operable by one sysadmin who knows what
 they are doing.  I don't mind if you run spambayes on the local machine
 using the codebase from a server, why not just do that?

Peter