[Spambayes] setup training & filtering set

Erik Sargent esargent at americanconsulting.com
Mon Aug 11 21:45:32 EDT 2003

Bob & Bill,
I appreciate the support for the general idea of automatically adding the
folders and claim no personal concern for the names. In fact, I would agree
that yours are better.

In suggesting the alignment with the Microsoft name I was thinking more
about the usability of the program for less technical users. It is probably
fair to say that most or all of us on the list are fairly tech savvy
compared with the general population. However, I always use the "dad test"
when looking at these types of things. I do believe that my dad would be
quite confused to suddenly find both a "Junk Email" and a "Spam" folder
both. What would he do with them?

It is a good point that, for those who care, it wouldn't be obvious which
filter placed the spam there - but I do believe that most users won't care.
In fact, after a few more weeks of use, I must confess that I hope not to
care either. The success of the software can only be measured by the degree
to which its use becomes invisible to the user. My personal goal is to
remember that SpamBayes exists only at parties when my friends start griping
about all the spam they have to deal with and I can introduce them to it.

Erik