[Spambayes] memory consumption...

Carel Fellinger carel.fellinger@chello.nl
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:27:04 +0200

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 07:14:21PM +1000, Anthony Baxter wrote:

> > I didn't find it plausible that a 75MB process would cause swapping to disk
> > on a 256MB box (unless you're running an OS much feebler than Win98 <wink>),
> > but it was very plausible that it's going to disk to read thousands of
> > files.
>
> Well, it looks like the problem is that this wierd little "linux" OS
> wants to eat half the RAM in the laptop for "Cached" memory. Gods
> only know why it's doing that, or how to make it stop doing it.

I take it that your new to linux? Otherwise ignore my rambling.

Linux uses all its free memory for caching, but only trully free
memory.  So before any swapping starts the cache will shrink to its
bare minimum first.

As Tim noted, it's more likely that you suffer from the many files
that need to be accessed, although that's were the cache should help.
Maybe, just maybe, you've setup your mail-drive to do synchronous
updates?  Use the lsattr command to check it.

--
groetjes, carel