[Spambayes] RE: email pkg

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:36:17 -0400

[Guido]
> What about fixing the random seed?

I'm not sure what you mean.  timcv and timtest make no use of randomness
unless you run on a subset of your data via the --ham_keep
and/or --spam_keep cmdline options.  In that case, they do pick random
subsets, and the -s option can then be used to force reproducibility
(although it can't if the set of msgs changes between runs).

Or if this is about mboxtest, I'm not familiar with what that does ... OK,
it uses seed 101 by default.  My test drivers don't, because sometimes I
want random subsets that I can't predict -- setting a seed by hand is poor
practice because people (knowingly or not, and me included) tend to pick the
same numbers repeatedly.

I don't think there's any behavior here you can't get easily, although
perhaps you'd prefer a different default behavior.  I'd be willing to add a
new option for that, and even to default it to the behavior I don't want.