[Spambayes] Using mxBeeBase as hammie DB

Brad Clements bkc@murkworks.com
Thu Oct 17 15:27:32 2002

On 17 Oct 2002 at 16:19, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> > What operating system, and how much RAM do you have?
>
> SuSE Linux 8 on 1GB RAM. But why would that matter ? The process
> size is only 4.8MB.

Two thoughts:

1. you ran the test at least once before timing it, so Python and other stuff was probably
"still in ram"   Not exactly sure how Linux pages things, but on Windows this statement
would most likely be true.

2. with less ram, you're more likely to need to throw out something to load Python and
stuff (especially on Windows OS).

I just found the "load time" to be extremely low for a typical office worker box. You don't
appear to have a typical box.

If your box is typical, is your company hiring?  ;-)

Note I'm not slighting Python, since the load time is a given no matter what. Just
wanted to know how you achieved the low load time.

Regarding the 23 megabytes . well, to run this on an IMAP server supporting 100
users. That's a lot of disk space. I realize the context switching from one "user" to the
next wouldn't be so bad using a database. If you were using a pickle, argh!

Brad Clements,                bkc@murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
AOL-IM: BKClements