[Spambayes] fwd: robinson f(w) equation: X constant confusion

Justin Mason jm@jmason.org
Thu Nov 28 11:52:55 2002

hi folks --

just wondering about this.  I ran some tests which wandered across
the landscape of X and S values (as used in Gary Robinson's f(w)
equation), and computed a cost figure based on a corpus of 2000
spam v. 1000 ham, then graphed it.

Results are here:

   http://spamassassin.taint.org/qa/s_x_gary.png

note that X=0.53 S=0.05 and X=0.69 S=0.32 seem to
give the best results.

However, computing X, as per Gary's webpage, results in a value of 0.32.
But according to that graph, 0.32 is pretty much crap ;)

As Allen says below:

> I can't see any reason why that would cause this - it's the same corpus
> giving an 0.32 result, after all. I'm more thinking that, as per the above,
> that the optimal robinson_x almost certainly _isn't_ a simple average of the
> p-values - especially not of the p-values computed using the robinson
> equation in the first place and using ones that have less than 10 or so
> points of data each. Something to work on at some point...

Anyone thought about this?  How did you guys come up with your X and S
figures?

(BTW same thing for Chi-squared combining is at
http://spamassassin.taint.org/qa/s_x_chi.png, if you're interested.  Note
that optimal values seem to be quite different here!)

--j.