[Spambayes] Guidance re pickles versus DB for Outlook

Tim Stone - Four Stones Expressions tim@fourstonesExpressions.com
Tue Nov 26 22:52:57 2002

Neale, if you want to give me a hint as to how you'd like to see the dbdict
write cache implemented, I'm willing to give it a crack... - TimS

11/26/2002 3:13:19 PM, Neale Pickett <neale@woozle.org> wrote:

>So then, Tim Stone - Four Stones Expressions <tim@fourstonesExpressions.com>
is all like:

>> Do we really need this state object at this point?  I can't see any
>> benefit to having this object at this point...
>
>Well, we do get some use out of it.  Or we would if we used it the way I
>thought we were :)
>
>I had intended for this class to get pickled and stored like so in
>DBDictClassifier.store():
>
>  self.wordinfo[self.statekey] = self.meta
>
>If we do this, then we get something that will break when the
>PICKLE_VERSION changes.  Also, as has been pointed out by someone else,
>it's a handy place to store things, without DBDictClassifier having to
>know what's inside itself.
>
>OTOH, since it's a subclass of classifier.Classifier, it'd be just as
>easy to write getstate() and setstate() methods on Classifier to return
>what would be in self.meta.  They don't have to be named that, of
>course.
>
>I don't know which one is uglier.  But right now the DBDict is storing
>"meta" information differently than everything else, so something's
>gotta give.  Anyone have an opinion on which is better?
>
>Neale

c'est moi - TimS
www.fourstonesExpressions.com