[Spambayes] Email client integration -- what's needed?

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Mon Nov 4 22:41:48 2002

[Mark Hammond]
> Unfortunately, I see nothing here that indicates this works for Outlook
> Express.  If we can use MAPI with Outlook Express, the plugin
> should not be hard to port at all.

Noting that, according to

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q192119

at least OE4 physically replaced the system Mapi32.dll with its own version
that spoke only Simple MAPI, when OE was selected as the default email
program.  As a result, all "real" MAPI and CDO apps failed.  Things may have
improved since then (OE is at version 6 now, I believe), but OE4 looks
hopeless for this reason.  Rummaging around, I get the *impression* that
they've solved the conflicting DLL problem, but that OE is still restricted
to Simple MAPI.