[spambayes-dev] milter implementation of spambayes

Amedee Van Gasse amedee at amedee.be
Fri Sep 26 01:47:02 CEST 2008

Hello,

Today I was reading about various antispam techniques, and I came across a
reference to milter. Milter is a mail filter that runs at SMTP time,
that's when the sending mailserver still has an open connection to the
receiving mailserver, and the receiver has not yet acknowledged reception
of the email.

I'm wondering if it is possble to create a milter implementation of
spambayes. Currently I'm so confident about spambayes that I move all spam
with a score of 1.00 to /dev/null (with procmail). With a milter-based
spambayes, I could reject the spam when I still have the spamming server
on the line. Don't ask me why, but I have always thought that rejecting at
SMTP is better than silently discarding email, which is still better than
bouncing.

I found a python implementation of milter with an empty base class as an
example: http://code.google.com/p/ppymilter
My problem is: I have zero experience with python so I really don't know
where to start.

My questions to the list:
* Good idea or bad idea? And why?
* If it's a good idea, could it be done by a humble python n00b like
myself? I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty but it's not my intention to
write the book on Mastering Python either.
* Who can help me by sometimes throwing a cluebat in my general direction,
when I get lost?

--
Amedee