[spambayes-dev] 1.0.2 and 1.1a1

Tony Meyer t-meyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jan 27 03:55:15 CET 2005

As most will probably have seen, I've done the 1.0.2 release.  I
smoke-tested the source (I've run it lots of times recently, and there are
few changes) and did a bit of testing with the binary (turns out using
Python 2.4 wasn't as simple as expected).

[Tony Meyer]
>> Are there any things not done yet that people would like to see in
>> 1.1?

[Kenny Pitt]
> Just a couple of minor ones.  Unfortunately, I'm on a tight
> deadline at work until at least the end of January.

Even with my rough plan there's a month between a1 and a2, so plenty of time
to add more :)  I think it'd be good to get something out though, since the
'deeper' changes can be tested already and people can give us feedback about
various changes.

> I'd like to get a tab added to the Manager for configuring
> the notification sounds.  It may be just edit boxes for the
> filenames at first (no browse), but I think we need something
> if general users are going to be able to take advantage of it.

+1.  Browse shouldn't be too hard - you should be able to just call
CreateFileDialog, right?  I agree that this would be nice before a1, so
that people get a feel for the interface.  I can hold off until it's
done (I'm fairly busy with stuff at the moment, too).

> Given that we haven't been able to solve the bsddb
> corruption/run-recovery problem,

I've completely given up and am happy in my ZODB.FileStorage world <0.1
wink>.  I'd like to include the necessary ZODB stuff in a a1 build so that
people can give ZODB a go if they would like, assuming that it doesn't bloat
the installer too much.  However, there still isn't a ZODB release for
Python 2.4, so I'd have to build it myself, which I'm not too sure about.
Maybe one is coming soon.  (Tim would know, I expect).

> I wanted to try something
> with automatic backups to at least provide a recovery
> mechanism.  My idea was to detect if the database is still
> good when shutting down,

How?  Back when I was playing with things (and I think Richie found this
too, but it's a long time back) I found that you could corrupt the database
and the RUN_RECOVERY error wouldn't be triggered until several accesses
later.

> and if so make a backup copy of the
> .db file. When starting up, if the training data is corrupt
> then try to restore this "known good" backup and then attempt
> the open again.

Making a backup could be worth a go, though.  Maybe this ought to be an
(Outlook experimental) option?  It will almost double the amount of disk
space that the plug-in requires.

> Speaking of translations, have you been able to build a
> binary since the translation support was added?  Whenever I
> try to run setup_all.py, I get the following error:
>
> """
> running py2exe
> running build_py
> error: package directory 'spambayes\resources' does not exist """

That's unrelated to the translation stuff.  It's a distutils change, IIRC -
I checked in a fix to the 1.0.x branch, but never got around to checking it
into HEAD.  I'll do that now.

=Tony.Meyer