[spambayes-dev] Re: [Spambayes] VERY confusing...

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 17 10:27:18 EST 2004

Adam Walker wrote:
> Most virus scanners can check compressed archives. That's why some
> viri have resorted to using password protected archives.
>
> Kenny Pitt wrote:
>>
>> There's already a "Use gzip" option in the Storage Options section of
>> the Advanced Configuration page.  If you set that to Yes then
>> SpamBayes will gzip compress any files that it writes to the cache.
>> That would be worth a try if you think the cache is the cause of the
>> Norton problems.

It would be interesting to see if Norton or other anti-virus programs
detect the compression in this case.  If they are checking signature
bytes in the file data itself to determine the filetype then it's
possible, but we don't use a standard file extension that would normally
be associated with gzip data.

--
Kenny Pitt