[spambayes-dev] Windows implementation using Command line (forSpamBayes)

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 13 17:44:32 CEST 2004

Rob McEwen wrote:
> Is there an implementation for SpamBayes for Windows as a Command
> line Utility?
>
> For example, some anti-virus programs (like McAfee VirusScan, F-Prot
> Antivirus for DOS, Grisoft AVG, etc.) can be invoked in a separate
> process, fed the path to the text file of the message to be process,
> return an "exit code" based on the results of scanning that message
> file. (or, possibly, add the appropriate header to the message).
> Also, training could be done by occasionally passing this command
> line tool a known-good "ham" folder and/or a known-bad "spam" folder.
>
> Couldn't this same concept could be applied to spambayes?

Take a look at the sb_filter.py script.  We don't build it as a Windows
executable so you'll have to install Python and run from source to get it,
but I see no reason why it wouldn't work on Windows.

> Finally, could this be done as a windows service so that the program
> doesn't have to initialize and die with each individual request?

You might be able to use the sb_bnfilter.py and sb_bnserver.py scripts,
which I believe are intended to do something similar to this.  Currently
sb_bnserver appears to run as a background process, not a Windows service,
but you could probably turn it into a service with a little Python hacking
based on the pop3proxy_service.py script.

--
Kenny Pitt