[spambayes-dev] Another incremental training idea...

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Jan 14 09:22:26 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 08:27, Simone Piunno wrote:

> My experience is that, in the long run, training on these wrapped spam
> messages kills performance, raising the likeliness of fn and unsure.

That's my suspicion too, although I figure I'm conducting a real-world
experiment to see if that's true.  So far fns and unsures are not
unmanageable, after a brief period of instability.

> Some possible improvement for list admins would be automatically recognize
> that a message is a Mailman notification and:
>  - just train on payload or just train on the external message.
>  - only score payload or only score the external message.
> Of course this would be a for-mailman-list-admins-only patch.

A generalization might be to score each attachment (or possibly just
each message/rfc822 type attachment) separately.  Then choose an
algorithm for combining the scores, e.g. outer-only, inner-only,
combined, etc.

-Barry